Dr. Scally is a Senior Research Associate at the Urban Institute’s Metropolitan Housing and Communities Policy Center. She is currently serving full-time as a subject matter expert on affordable rental housing to the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development Rural Housing Service agency.
Prior to joining the Urban Institute, Dr. Scally served as founder and CEO of HOUSERS, LLC, conducting housing research for community impact. She was also an Associate Professor of Urban Planning in the Department of Geography and Planning at the University at Albany, SUNY, and Director of its nationally-accredited Master’s in Regional Planning program. She taught courses on urban policy, housing policy, and urban community development in the U.S., and directed numerous student projects with community partners. Before academia, she worked for nonprofit community development organizations in Chicago on affordable housing and real estate development, and local business retention and employment.
Areas of expertise include:
- U.S. federal, state and local affordable housing policies and programs
- Policy networks and cross-sector partnerships
- Community-based development organizations and advocacy
- Community opposition to affordable housing
- Housing instability and mobility
- Housing for vulnerable populations, including people with disabilities
Research methodologies include:
- Focus groups
- Secondary data analysis
- Document analysis